- I pitched to an editor from Tor and she requested the first three chapters of my book! Bonus: I really, really liked her and could totally see forming a working relationship with her. (But that's like proposing on a blind date, so . . .)
- I got to hang out with Kevin J. Anderson! Excuse me while I fangirl.
- I learned that the wording in all those rejection letters for Peter probably were code for "we really like your writing/voice but don't think we can sell this particular book; please do send something more marketable our way." Which makes sense given Peter's decidedly niche market. But when an agent puts in a rejection that he or she wants to see more by you, they mean it!
- Awesome keynotes by the aforementioned Mr. Anderson, Charlaine Harris, and Shilo Harris.
- A great cocktail reception during which I met amazing fellow writers and also had another agent request some pages.
- Workshops that helped me figure out how to write an effective synopsis and also helped me find a better opening line for my book.
In short, it was a great conference. I'll be posting more details over on my author site.
As for the trip to Dallas, additional good things:
- Great food.
- Getting to see old friends again.
- Time by the pool.
- The hotel service was fabulous all around.
Now it's back to normal life. Well, and sprucing up those pages for the editor and agent who requested them!