- Extra legroom on the plane.
- Sitting next to French people and surprising them with my (very rusty) French.
- A short taxi line.
- Being made Guest of the Day at the hotel, which got me a great upgrade, free wifi, and access to the Executive Lounge.
- Meeting fun new people.
- Not having to pitch.
- Lots of great information and advice.
- Running into Steven James in the elevator and him giving me advice for when I do my first panel in October.
- Kwame Alexander telling me he loves my hair.
- Lots of other people telling me they love my hair.
- People telling me they think my chrome toenails are cool.
- Drink vouchers.
- Views of Central Park at dawn and dusk and during a lightning storm.
- Dr Pepper in the hotel cafe.
- Invitations to dinner with fellow writers.
- Discovering Ippuku.
- Learning there's an Ippuku in Berkeley.
- Upgrades to the exit row for the flight home.
- Being sent to TSA Pre-check and not having to take off my shoes.
- Surreal 4-way stops between shuttle buses and 747s.
- Coming home.
15 August 2016
Writer's Digest Conference Edition
It's not that nothing good has happened the past few days, it's that I was away at a conference in NYC. And lots of great stuff happened! So here's a partial list of all the positive things I'm grateful for these past few days: